Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Sterilization

I'm working on a moral theology paper right now on sterilization. I just wanted to share with you some statistics I found in doing my research.

According to the Canadian Journal of Human Sexuality Vol.8 (3) Fall 1999

"Two thirds of women in the 1998 Canadian Contraception Study are familiar with sterilization as a method of birth control, and they generally think highly of this method. Among women who have been sterilized or whose partners have undergone a vasectomy, rates of satisfaction are very hight. The rate of sterlization, 23% overall, includes 10% of women who have had the operation, and 14% of their partners. The increasing use of male sterilization is appropriate, given the low morbidity attached to this procedure. This operation should increase in prevelance, as 75% of women who have decided on future sterilization wish their parther to have the operation."

Other statistics, not directly relevant to my paper, but from the same study:
28% of women are using oral contraceptives
21% of women use condoms as "their form of contraceptive"

The phrase that made me the most upset from the study: "25% of Canadian women carry the misperception that monogomy and getting to know and trust your partner eliminates the need to use condoms for STD prevention." I personally find this comment very insulting. Not to mention wrong. First of all, it presupposes that there is a need to use condoms. Secondly, it seems to imply that monogomous relationships are not a way of avoiding STDs.

Well, back to my paper now.