Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Pregnant Teacher Fired

A pregnant teacher at a New York Catholic school has been fired because of having engaged pre-marital sex. It's not really because of the fact that she's pregnant that she's been fired, but because she broke the moral contract made with the school. Let's keep in mind the school is not condeming her pregnancy but rather her behaviour which resulted in the pregnancy. Unfortunately the fact that she's pregnant reveals the fact that she was involved in pre-marital sex. This thus poses a difficult moral dilemma. How should the school have reacted? Was it justified in its action? Was the course of action they took the best for the mother, the infant, the children of the school and the community at large?

I don't know how I feel about this one. I agree that the school had every right to fire her and that it's clear she violated the moral standards of the Church (of God!) that she agreed to abide by. At the same time, I have to agree with her that if she had had an early abortion they probably wouldn't have found out and she'd still have her job.

This is a situation I've thought about before since I attend a university that has "community standards" which all students, staff, and faculty must sign. One of the aspects of this "community standards" contract is that students, staff, and faculty are not to engage in extramarital sex. Based on this, unwed students who become pregnant are expelled from the university. I wonder though if, for a university which also professes to be pro-life, this pushes some students to have an abortion. This really concerns me.

I think that we need to focus on consolation and supporting women facing crisis pregnancies rather than condemning them. I agree that we cannot condone pre-marital sex and I'm not suggesting that we do, but the fact of the matter is that the woman is pregnant and we should do everything possible to support her in the pregnancy. Even regardless of whether she recognizes that her behaviour was immoral or not, she is still carrying a child of God and we need to do everything to protect that infant.

Now, I don't know the easy answer. I agree that being pregnant is a very obvious sign that you've rejected the moral standards of the community in these contexts (whether it be working in a Catholic institution or attending a Christian or Catholic university with "community standards"). I am somewhat sympathetic to the reasoning that men can get away with pre-marital sex while women can't because they get pregnant. But I don't want to put too much emphasis on that because focusing on this point only furthers the Culture of Death concept that becoming pregnant is an unfortunate side-effect of having intercourse. You're supposed to get pregnant! That's how it works! Pregnancy as a result of engaging in sex is a good thing!

I'm very torn on this story. Yes, I believe the school had the right to dismiss the teacher. Yes, hers is not a moral example for students. But how can the moral contract be enforced justly and more importantly in a manner which guards the sanctity of human life?

I'd hate to have been the principal for the school.

Let us pray for those involved in the decision making process on this matter at this school and in the diocese! Let us also pray for this woman and her unborn child! Let us give thanksgiving to God that she did not have an abortion!