Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Homosexuality and the Priesthood

I was just watching an interview on CNN of an "openly gay" Catholic priest. While I disagree with much of what he said, the following quote takes the cake:

"Like any family, the Catholic Church is dysfunctional in some areas. One area that the Catholic Church is dysfunctional is in the whole area of sexuality."

Ahhhhhhh!!! Lord have mercy! I feel a sudden urge to pray for everyone who has ever been in this priest's parish. I have a feeling they're not getting the Theology of the Body.

See my venting post written yesterday about the need to get the message of the Gospel of Life out and the beauty and depth of the Church's teachings on human sexuality. I have a feeling this priest isn't on my side.

My first response to this interview on CNN was a deep need to pray for this priest. My second response was deep sorrow that the priesthood was being portrayed in this way and compassion for all our priests who are faithful to the magisterium and are sadly being associated by the media with priests like the one CNN chose to interview.