Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Bill C-407 ("Dignity to Die") Responses

A few weeks ago I made a couple of posts about Bill C-407, a motion to legalize assisted suicide and euthanasia in Canada. In anticipation of the parlimentary debate on the bill I had sent off about half a dozen letters to various members of parliment and ministers. I got three responses yesterday.

Here are excerpts from what they had to say...

From Honorable Mark Warawa (my local MP) [conservative]

"Please be advised that the Conservative Party has no official policy on the issue of assisted suicide. Conservative MPs would have, as a matter of conscience, the ability to vote according to their beliefs and those of their constituents on any ammendments to the Criminal Code on this matter.

As you know, assisting or counselling another person to commit suicide is a criminal offence in Canada, carrying a maximum sentence of up to fourteen years in prison.

I am very concerned about protecting the aged, the disabled, or other vulnerable people who could be at risk by a repeal of the present prohibitions against assisted suicide. I will be opposing Bill C-407 and I will recommend that my colleagues in the Conservative caucus also do not support Bill C-407."


Ok. Now for the response from the liberals. Both letters I got from liberal MPs passed the buck to Irwin Cotler, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada. (note: I already had sent my letter to Mr. Irwin Cotler).

Here's what the Office of the Prime Minister had to say:

"You may be assured that the statements you offered have been carefully reviewed. Since the issue you have raised falls within the responsibilities of the Honourable Irwin Cotler, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, I have taken the liberty of forwarding a copy of your correspondence to him. I am certain that the Minister will give your comments every consideration."


Yeah right. Every consideration.

And from Ujjal Dosanjh, Minister of Health:

"Since the issue you raise falls within the purview of the Honourable Irwin Cotler, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, we have taken the liberty of forwarding a copy of your correspondence to him, for his consideration."


Well, it's nice to know that Irwin Cotler will be giving my views on euthanasia such consideration... hmmm... writing may have not made a big impact, but at least I can say in good conscience that I'm doing something to try and fight against unjust laws. If everyone kept silent because they didn't think they could make a difference the politicians would say there is little or no opposition to the bill. At least this way, whether they listen or not, they know we're not happy with the euthanasia bill.