Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Seal of the Confessional

I was wondering to myself today about the Seal of the Confessional when it comes to revelation of a threat to someone's life, ongoing abuse, etc...

I found my answer on the Catholic Educator's Resource Website (great website with lots of useful articles).

Conclusion: no ifs ands or buts about it - the Seal of the Confessional is absolute and binding regardless of the content of the confession.

The article I read, by Fr. William Suanders, points out that a priest cannot break the Seal of the Confessional even if put under oath in a Court of Law. Now, my question is therefore, what would they do? Can they refuse to testify in a trial? Can they refuse to answer questions? Would the judicial system put a priest in jail if he refused to break the Seal of the Confessional? Our courts don't really seem to care much for God's laws these days anyways...