Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Where have all the confessors gone?

Well, they're all on retreat this week (priest study week in my diocese)...but I'm meaning in a broader sense.

I'm frustrated right now with the growing loss of accessibility to the Sacrament of Reconciliation that is plaguing parishes around the world. The parish I attend only has half an hour of confessions early on Saturday mornings, otherwise you can make an appointment I guess. Even if you show up on Saturday morning you have to go knock on Father's office door (there are no confessionals in the church) and ask if he can hear your confession. It's not so much a problem for me since I'm actively involved in both youth ministry and young adult events which often have priests who are more than willing to hear confessions, and there is a parish fifteen minutes away that has daily confessions, but just in principle, there's something wrong with the picture.

Is it that no one is coming so the priests cut back the available confession times or is it that no one is coming because the Sacrament is not being made available to them? Or have people simply forgotten about the role of the Sacrament of Reconciliation in their sacramental life?

I know that parish priests are very busy, but I think that hearing confessions should be a priority. On the other hand, maybe no one comes. But maybe no one comes because there is no priest available to hear confessions.

Sorry, this is just a late night rant that has been building up in me for weeks.