Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Friday, November 11, 2005

Newman Quote

This is a quote that I came across yesterday while reading a book called "Seeking Spiritual Direction" by Fr. Thomas Dubay. The author was speaking of how many of us who believe in God resist personal change and referred to this Newman quote:
"For many reasons it is very unpleasant to us to change. We cannot change ourselves; this too we know full well, or, at least, a very little experience will teach us. God alone can change us; God alone can give us the desires, affections, principles, views, and tastes which a change implies: this too we know; for I am all along speaking of men who have a sense of religion. What then is it that we who profess religion lack? I repeat it, this: a willingness to be changed, a willingness to suffer (if I may use such a word), to suffer Almight God to change us. We do not like to let go of our old selves."
I don't know about anyone else out there, but that quote certainly convicted me.