Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

St. Ignatius and St. Faustina married?

I knew the title of this entry might raise a few eyebrows, but there's a story behind it.

Last week, in light of the liturgical calendar, I spent most of my Catechism class (I teach grade two's) discussing saints with the children. I gave each child a card with a picture of a saint, a short biography and a short prayer to that saint. They were supposed to write out the prayer and draw a picture of the saint.

Anyways, one of the little girls took her picture and her friends picture and drew St. Ignatius and St. Faustina holding hands and married (that's how she explained it to me). I used this perfect teaching opportunity to explain that priests (St. Ignatius) and sisters/nuns (St. Faustina) don't marry because they are married to Christ and the Church. The children seemed to understand what I was saying until one little boy exclaimed "So does that mean they're all gay?"

I had to make a conscious effort not to let my jaw drop. I explained that that wasn't what it meant, but rather the fact that priest and sisters don't get married means that they love God very much. We then changed topics and moved on. I left class that day in total shock though. Where does a seven year old come up with such a comment? How does a seven year old even know what it means to be gay? Obviously he's getting it from home.

The primary responsibility for Faith formation is supposed to lie with the parents, not the catechist, but when that's the kind of information the kids in my class are getting from home, I wonder what their Faith formation within the home is like...