Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Examination of conscience anyone?

So I'm taking a third year theology course in Moral Theology this semester. It's great. The prof is doing a fantastic job teaching us, the material is challenging, and I'm learning a lot.

The only problem is that the whole course essentially ends up being an examination of conscience. It's not so much a technical problem as a spiritual challenge.

The first part of the course was more theoretical and on the development of moral theology as well as some of the "alternate routes" some modern theologians have taken.

Now we are working through each of the ten commandments, following the format of the CCC (Catechism of the Catholic Church) and then discussing what the response to the commandment should be if we are to live our lives in Christ. I'm finding the course to be both academically and spiritually challenging. Nothing like sitting around for two hours discussing the various sins associated with a single commandment. I leave class every time feeling like I need to find the nearest priest to hear my confession.

Maybe I should pre-book scheduled times for confessions on Mondays and Wednesdays after class. . .

One thing we've been discussing in class is the morality of excellence as opposed to the morality of obligation. Essentially, to pursue excellence in living our lives in Christ rather than to take a legalistic approach and walk as close to the boundary lines without stepping over them.

Anyways, although the "morality of excellence" is a great thing, it makes me realize how far I still have to go. I guess it should be encouraging that God's not finished with me just yet. He's left me with plenty of room to grow, that's for sure.