Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Missing the Outdoors


Today is a glorious sunny day. Unfortunately I'm stuck living in a city and studying for a philosophy mid-term.

If I was back in my hometown I'd probably be out on a hike mushroom picking with my mom right now. I bet that's what she's up to today. I'm the typical story of a rural Canadian. I grew up living in a small town and experiencing the outdoors, only to have to hit reality one day and have to move away to go to school. I'm happy to be at university and all, but there's a certain sadness knowing that I'll probably never live in my hometown again (especially since it's very isolated).

Anyways, on this glorious fall day, here's a tribute to hiking on the West Coast. This is a picture of one of the places I often hiked to with my family when I was growing up.

For all those times I went on family hikes screaming and kicking my feet as a child, it was always worth it when we got to the top of the mountain (I must admit, bribery was required at certain points).