Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Friday, October 14, 2005

Only one Pope? Nice!

Yesterday's catechism class (I'm teaching grade two's) was interesting. One of the kids in my class brought along a friend who had never been to church before in his life, who didn't believe in God, and who's parents had apparently told him that the Bible is all lies. That makes for interesting discussions.

Anyways, the highlight of the class though was when I was talking about "people who guide us" in the Church. I brought along pictures of cardinals, bishops, priests, parents, etc... and of course the Pope.

I was showing the pictures and explaining to the kids how special the bishops, cardinals, and the Holy Father are. I pointed out that the Pope must be super special because there's only one of him in the whole world.

One of the little boys in my class interrupted and exlaimed "Nooooo... there's other churches. They all have popes too!" I patiently explained to him that in fact the Catholic Church is the only Church that has a Pope. "Really?" he asked with an inquisitive look on his face. "Yup. Only the Catholic Church," I responded. Coming to terms with this, a giant grin grew on his face and he threw his fist in the air for emphasis and shouted out "Nice!"

Awwwwe... you gotta love the kids.