Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Friday, October 07, 2005

Mary & Me

Today, on the Feast of the Holy Rosary, I thought I'd provide some insight into the inner world of my perspectives on Mary and marian devotions, such as the rosary. Well, really, the devotions aren't so much the issue since without my relationship with Our Holy Mother, I wouldn't be participating in any marian devotions.

So, as a young Catholic woman who is Mary to me?

While there are many different aspects of the person of Mary which impact my life, fundamentally, Mary shows me what it is to be a woman. In her is found the perfection of the female genius. Living in a generation in which many young woman, myself included, struggle with issues of self-perception, insecurities, purity, lack of confidence, etc. . . in Mary I found an example of my potential. It is only through devoted prayer to, and reflection upon, Mary that I am able to see through the lies of Satan and perceive myself as the woman God has created me to be.

Mary bears Christ to me and in doing so shows me how to bear Christ to others. She demonstrates for me obedience to the will of the Lord and docility to the working of the Holy Spirit. The Blessed Virgin shows me how to love God with all my heart, my mind, and my soul, and also what it means to be loved by God. In times of anxiety, she comforts me. She shares is my sorrows and my joys, because she understands what it is to be a woman seeking to follow God in this world.

Mary is a mother who is always patient. She never slanders me but always edifies me in my walk with Christ. She guides me with a gentle hand. She intercedes on my behalf when I am weak and communicates my love to her Son, even when I feel I can't pray. She is steadfast and trustworthy. Mary shows me what it is to live radically for God. Mary shows me what it means to be a person of virtue and urges me to follow in her footsteps.

Ultimately, through the imitation of Mary I can become the woman God desires me to be.