Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Responding to Bill C-407

Encouraged by Fr. Dowd over at Waiting in Joyful Hope, I finally got my own act together this afternoon and wrote a letter addressing Bill C-407. It has been a crazy busy week as I'm in the middle of mid-term exams and essays along with the natural chaotic nature of life, but I decided that I better make wrigint a letter on this issue a priority before it's too late. How could I spend my afternoon studying for my Moral Theology mid-term next week and yet not respond to this threat against the moral order of our society?

Thanks to Fr. Dowd for pointing out the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition site called Stop Bill C-407. I checked it out and it was a great place to find an overview of the situation. Also take the time to read the public statement issued by the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops last month.

I feel threatened and scared by this proposed bill. Whether or not it is passed, the fact that people are even willing to think along these lines is quite frightening. What has happened to recognizing the dignity of the human person and the value of human life? I thought that this inherent truth was clearly revealed in nature, but apparently there are many in this world who have consciously chosen to reject natural revelation.

If you are a Canadian citizen I urge you to take the time to write a letter and send it to the Prime Minister, the Justice Minister, your MP, the leaders of the opposition . . . anyone you can think of! You can use the same letter, just change the address and salutation. The postage is free. No stamp required. If you care about the value of the human person, your own life, the lives of those you love or the future of this country, you have no excuse. Essentially, if you recognize what it means to be a human person, you have no excuse. You can find the address of your MP by going to the Find your Member of Parliament site and entering your postal code.

If you are not a Canadian, please pray for us! Prayer cannot be underestimated. Ensure that you are attentive to what is going on within your own government and respond when similar propositions arise in your own country.