Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Surviving Mid-Semester Chaos


Sometimes I wish I could run away from it all. Run far far away from all the things listed in my agenda. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that won't work.

So, I am surviving though. Apparently. I just had a philosophy mid-term today. It went alright. Identifying quotes was the tough bit because there were so many of them. The essay questions were fine though. One was on why Socrates accepted the death penalty rather than escape, as proposed by Crito, and do I think he was right in accepting the death penalty. The second was a compare and contrast of Plato's Demiourgos to Aristotle's Prime Mover. The third was a comparison of Plato's and Aristotle's views of the soul and its relationship with the body. There was a lot to write. I was the last one out of the room, but oh well. If you've been reading my blog, you've realized I suffer from verbal diarrhoea.

Anyways, I just wanted to extend my empathy to all university students out there. I know how you feel right now. It's a horrible time of year for university students. Tons of homework. The seasons are a changin' and it's getting dark and wet (or cold, depending where you live). You miss your family. You're overwhelmed. The end of the Semester is close enough in sight to scare you when you think of all the essays you still have to write, but not close enough that there is hope in sight. You're so busy and you wonder what it's all for. You're so busy that the fun parts of university such as staying up 'til three in the morning discussing the meaning of life, the universe, and everything must be severely restricted (replaced with staying up 'til three am memorizing random facts for midterms and finishing off essays).

And then, you try and "fit God in" on top of all that. Run to the chapel. Thanks God for this, this, and this... I need help with this, this, and this... Please help him, her, and him... Please grant me strength, grace, peace, perserverence, focus, concentration, patience, etc... Gotta run to class.

Not good.

But I'll survive.

I don't want to just survive though.

The end is insight, at least the end of the crazy mid-term and essay period.

I have one midterm left, but it's for one of my favourite classes (Moral Theology) so it should be ok. The midterm is a take home but we're not allowed to use our books or any extra material and have to stick to a strict time limit. Either the prof trusts us or he figures that since its moral theology we'll all have guilty consciences if we don't abide by the rules.

Back to work now though. I still have a French presentation on Joan of Arc and nationalism that I have to present tomorrow and haven't started preparing yet. I also have to put together a lesson plan for my CCD (catechism) class tomorrow.

P.S. Yes, that IS a picture of the Holy Father on my dresser next to all my library books. It's a picture I took at WYD. It's a reminder for me to pray for the Holy Father, the cardinals, the bishops, and all priests and religious.