Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Praying for the Souls in Purgatory

During this month of November we are especially reminded to pray for the souls in purgatory.

My friend and I went to a graveyard to pray the rosary for forgotten souls the other day. Now, I'm sure we looked like some hooligans walking around in hoodies (hooded sweatshirts) among the graves, but we were sincerely praying for the souls in purgatory. We used to do this when I was a kid, but I was reminded of the practice when I came across this entry on Fr. Todd's blog.

Anyways, the other day a priest pointed out to a group of my friends and I that sadly many of the forgotten souls in purgatory are priests and religious. This makes sense I suppose when you think about it because they wouldn't have children or grandchildren to be praying for them. I guess the case for forgotten souls would be even more likely for priests since they often don't have the family context of a religious community to pray for them either.

So, based on these reflections I've decided I better start praying. My mom had an uncle who was an Augustinian priest. I never met him because he died when my mom was pregnant with me, but he's still part of my family. He was from a family of ten kinds, and my grandma (his sister) is the only one who is still alive. Unfortunately, most of the family, and descendents, have fallen away from the practice of the Faith, if not explicitly apostasized, including my grandma (which is quite sad). Since most of his extended family is not practicing Catholic anymore, it seems to be a case in point of a forgotten priest. Anyways, to make a long story short, I've decided that I will not let my late great uncle be forgotten. Please join me in praying for the repose of the soul of Fr. Martin Müller and all forgotten souls. I don't know if he's in purgatory or not, but God doesn't let prayers go to waste.