Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Flattery at Special Olympics

One of my highlights every week is coaching Special Olympics swimming. The athletes are all so precious and truly bring joy to my life and help me keep things in perspective.

Some of the young men have certain problems being overly flirtatious with the coaches and so sometimes coaching can be quite "interesting." I've gotta admit, some of the best lines I've heard come from my Special Olympics athletes. It would take a lot more than a good line to hook me though.

Anyways, here's the line from this evening:

I was discussing with one of my athletes the fact that I used to live in (near) Brighton, England (during my first year of university) and his response was: "You used to live in Brighton? No wonder you're so bright!" Although this particular athlete has mental disabilities, he sure knew how to come up with a context appropriate one liner!