Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

A Day of Rest with Wojtyla

Today was one of those weird days when you have a long list of things to do, but lack motivation, and so you sit around wasting time and procrastinating. As you can tell by the number of posts I made today, part of my procrastination involved blogging. And yet, I felt justified in my procrastination since this past week I have been reading parts of Dies Domini. Not that this apostolic letter says to procrastinate, but it does remind me that Sunday should be a day of rest.

I solved my unrest and lack of motivation by starting reading a book I bought several months ago. I am now half way through "The Jeweler's Shop," a play written by the late Pope John Paul II while he was still a bishop and published under a pseudonym at the time.

This play was recommended to me by my Theology of the Body professor last year (yes, my college offers an actual upper level theology course on the Theology of the Body) and so I bought it with hopes of reading it. And then school started.

But today was the day I decided Sunday would be a day of rest and I curled up in my bed and started to read...
"A disproportion between the wish for happiness and a man's potential is unavoidable. But you try to calculate your happiness at any price, just as you calculate everything in your planning office. You lack courage and trust - in what? in whom? in life, in your own fate, in people, in God..."
And so, I read such words which speak to the reality of my own life, the reality of every life, and the reality of human life.