Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

New Beginnings

As I've mentioned previously, I'm working part time this academic year organizing "Student Life" activities for the students of the small Catholic college I attend.

What better way to start off the new school year than Eucharistic Adoration? This afternoon, as the first 'official' Student Life activity we gathered together in Adoration before Christ in the Blessed Sacrament. Over a third of the student body showed up which was more than expected and a fantastic turnout for a Friday afternoon.

Thanks be to God for the priest who came to expose the Blessed Sacrament and give us Benediction, as well as hear our confessions. He stepped up at the last minute a few days ago when the previously scheduled priest called to say that he wouldn't be able to come because his brother would be taking his vows as a Benedictine today (that's a pretty good excuse!).

I can't think of a better way to begin the new academic year than in adoration before Jesus with my fellow students and professors.

We followed up adoration with a 'bonfire' tonight. There's a fire ban on so we couldn't technically have a bonfire but we made a pretty good psudo bonfire with newspaper, a space heater, and Christmas lights. All in all it was a good night and there were many good conversations going on between new and returning students.

Well, it's after midnight and I've just finished printing off five encyclicals to read for my JPII Theology class (not all right away) and I've got a lot of reading to do this weekend and I have many other things to get done tomorrow so I should sign off and go to bed.