Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Monday, September 04, 2006

What is the purpose of your visit?

My friend shares her story of going through U.S. Customs on her way to go visit the Benedictine Abbey of St. Walburga in Colorado:

Officer lady: where's your destination?
Me: Colorado
Officer lady: how long are you staying there?
Me: 2 weeks
Officer lady: what is your purpose there?
Me(not hearing her question properly because I'm so nervous): oh, I'm visiting the Abbey of St. Walburga.
Officer lady(asks again impatiently): yes, but what is your purpose there? your a student? do they have a school there? is that why you're going?
Me: oh no, they don't, I'm going to be living with them for two weeks and see what their life is like.
Officer lady(more quietly and leans forward): are you interested in becoming a nun?
Me: yes

Officer lady's face suddenly changed and she just had this huge smile on her face, she also changed the tone of her voice. She just got so much friendlier after learning my purpose 'for entering the States'. And I finally let my breath out. Whew!

Officer lady(friendlier this time, but still quietly): so, how long have you been interested in becoming a nun?
Me: for a while now, but It's just been a couple of months since I started to discern more seriously. I think when you're called you should answer(with a sheepish smile).
Officer lady(smiling widely now): well that's great!

Stamps the customs paper and smiles at me. She didn't say "God bless you" or anything like that and I understand because she has to be professional and all that. But it was so encouraging to have that to start the trip. Just God's little ways of confirming me, that I'm doing the right thing at this time.