Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

JPII Theology

Well, I've been silent because I'm back to school. Oh the joys. Actually, I'm not being sarcastic. I've had two classes already, a Philosophy course called Informal Logic and a Theology course called The Theological Vision of Pope John Paul II. The JPII course is a fourth year theology course and I am so excited about this class. I think it's going to be an amazing course.

Here's the course description:
"John Paul II has been called by some observers the most important Catholic theologian since St. Thomas Aquinas. This course examines in depth and detail the life and teachings of this extraordinary pope, his "personalist" philosophy and program for theological renewal of the Catholic Faith. Through a close reading and analysis of selected encyclicals and apostolic letters, the vision and worldview of John Paul II is presented as a significant achievement in modern Christian thought."

And the reading list? Well. . . now, don't get jealous. . .

Redemptor Hominis
Mulieris Dignitatem
Ecclesia de Eucharistia
Christifideles Laici
Salvici Dolores
Evangelium Vitae
Familiaris Consortio
Dives in Misericordia
Crossing the Threshold of Hope
The Splendor of Faith by Avery Cardinal Dulles, S.J.
Witness to Hope by George Weigel (who's conference I'm going to in a few weeks!)
Christ is the Answer: The Christ-Centered Teaching of Pope John Paul II by John Saward
John Paul the Great: Maker of the Post-Conciliar Church by William Oddie

Ahhh... yes, this is pretty much my dream reading list.

I still have another class this afternoon. . . The Metaphysics of St. Thomas Aquinas. That should be one of those courses that is painful but rewarding.