Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Update

I'm doing alright with my recovery. Still not eating anything that needs to be even remotely chewed because I don't even want to deal with the holes in the back of my mouth. I had watered down apple sauce last night and my mom has been making me peanut butter, banana, and milk shakes for protein. I've also been trying out some organic veggie/fruit drinks to get some vitamines. I'm following the dentist's directions for recovery down to every little detail because I don't want to get any infections. I hate rinsing my mouth with warm salt water but I'll do whatever it takes. I'm back to caring for my grandparents today, this is earlier than expected because my recovery is going well and so far today we haven't had any problems. I'm able to talk and open my mouth (but don't make me laugh or smile, that hurts) and the swelling isn't as bad as I thought it would be. My only complaint is that when you can't chew at all it makes for a pretty extreme diet (juice and watered down applesauce. . . I might try some soup stock later today. . .).

I'm doing well though. As a friend told me in an e-mail she sent today, "don't worry, St. Maria Goretti will take good care of you (and of course our little lady Mary and the big Guy too!)"