Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Because He Still Loves Me

Tonight, like most nights, I went and visited my grandparents who live down the street from us to check in on them, see how their day went, and say goodnight. My Oma had already gone to bed but was still awake so I snuggled in next to her and asked her how she was doing. Her health has really declined over the past few months and she can't really carry on a conversation any more but if you speak to her in German or French (which she speaks more fluently than English) she'll usually interact a bit. Tonight she looked at me as I lay next to her and said "J'ai un bon mari." (I have a good husband). "Oui, c'est vrai," (Yes, it's true.) I agreed. "Il est le meilleur," (He's the best.) my Oma said. "Pourquoi?," (Why?) I asked. "Parce-qu'il m'aime toujours," (Because he still loves me.) was my Oma's answer. She then closed her eyes and went to sleep.

What a simple but beautiful answer she gave me. She may not be able to carry on an extended conversation but sometimes a few words can say alot. If I ever marry, I pray that fifty-four years, four kids, and thirteen grandkids later, when I can barely walk and need help eating I will be able to say with perfect confidence that I have a good husband because he still loves me.