Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Running Away

Hahaha, I wish I was running away.

I've got a really busy next few days ahead of me so don't expect much blogging.

I've got classes tomorrow morning and then afterwards I'm going straight to volunteering at the archdiocesan "Youth Day" event for grades eight to twelve. It's an annual youth ministry event. I offered my help and said I'd be willing to do anything, even scrub toilets, so I don't really know what I'll be doing. Hopefully not cleaning the bathrooms, although, I wouldn't mind. So yeah, rather than spending time blogging tomorrow I'm going to be keeping my eye on hundreds of teenagers. That's always interesting. They like drama. The Youth Ministry Office finally got wise and cut the dance that's been traditionally held the last night of the annual event. Having a dance with high school kids and trying to keep the music, dancing, and clothes appropriate is really challenging. I'm glad they threw that out the window. In my opinion (and experience), it kind of ruined the focus and purpose of holding 'Youth Day' anyways.

So that's where I'll be most of the day tomorrow and all day on Saturday.

My first year university roomate is in the area (she lives a five hour flight away from me!) for the week and just e-mailed me to ask if I wanted to hang out so I'll meet up with her Saturday night. That should be fun/interesting. I haven't seen her in over two years. It's been a pretty big two years for me though (i.e. I've changed a lot). Probably for her too. Oh well. It will be interesting.

And then, Sunday is First Communion! YAY! I'm so excited for my kids (no, I don't have kids. . .). I think I might be more excited about it than they are. Oh well, maybe my excitement has rubbed off on them a bit. We had our last catechism class tonight. "Two days and three sleeps until you get to receive Jesus in the Eucharist! Are you guys excited?!" I asked them, "Yup!" they all replied, so I guess that's a good sign. I know that they don't 'get' everything, but I just pray that they have the faith to believe that the Eucharist is truly Jesus. This is the prayer of my heart, that they know Christ in the Eucharist.