Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Future?

As I sit here working on a paper on "The Sickness Unto Death' by Soren Kierkegaard I was just struck by the fact that less than a year from now I will be graduating. There definitely is a certain sense of security in being in school. Stressful at times, sure. . . but the routine of studying can also be quite comforting. I guess I need to get out of the comfort zone at some point. That being said, only God knows where I'll be a year from now. Perhaps I'll just be gearing up to head back to school again. Perhaps He has some great adventure in store. Probably does. I probably have no idea. It's probably going to hit me like a load of bricks and knock me off my feet. Oh well. That's always fun. As long as it's not toooooo painful I'm up for it. Maybe I'll be living in a cardboard box and working at McDonald's. That's always an option. Ok, I shouldn't joke about that because I truly have been blessed and likely will never have to live in a cardboard box. That being said, what kind of job do you get with a B.A. with a double major in Modern Languages and Christianity and Culture? The frequent response I get is "missionary work." Not really well paying, but definitely fits into the adventure category and also a nice transitional activity. Transition to what? Who knows. And then, in the midst of all these options. . . grad school, McDonald's, and missionary work, there's always the question of "discerning the will of the Lord in my life" as I describe myself under my blog title. Oh yeah. That bit. So, do you think God wants me to work at McDonald's after I graduate? Maybe. It'd be a great lesson in humility. I doubt it though. I have a feeling that's not exactly where he wants me to go. I don't know exactly where to go yet though. We'll see. We'll see. I'm starting to look into applications for grad schools to at least open the door to that option. I figure go big or go home (and believe me, I doubt my parents want me to come home after four years of university). . . hehehehe... thus, I'm looking at applying to Santa Croce and the Angelicum in Rome and the John Paul II Institute of Marriage and Family (both in Washington, DC and Australia). I'm thinking of studying either Moral Theology or the Theology of the Body. We'll see how that goes. Ok, so sorry, I'm rambling . . .

P.S. If mom or dad comes across this, rest assured, I promise, I'll do something with my life. I'm not quite as uncertain and lost as it sounds. I've pretty much crossed McDonald's off the list. ;-)