Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Quote of the Day

The Thomistic studies discussion group I'm involved in has switched to doing the readings in Latin for the benefit of all those attending who are currently studying Latin or wanting to brush up on their Latin skills. . . not to mention, of course, that doing primary source readings in their original language is always a good idea.

Anyways, my Latin isn't fantastic and I won't formally begin studying Latin until September, but with all the other languages under my belt I find I'm able to follow along just fine (especially when I've got the English translation right next to me).

And after that long winded explanation, here is the quote of the day, from Chapter 2 of De rationibus Fidei by St. Thomas Aquinas:

"[S]icut fides nostra necessariis rationibus probari non potest, quia humanam mentem excedit, ita improbari necessaria ratione non potest propter sui veritatem. Ad hoc igitur debet tendere Christiani disputatoris intentio in articulis fidei, non ut fidem probet, sed ut fidem defendat: unde et beatus Petrus non dicit: parati semper ad probationem, sed ad satisfactionem, ut scilicet rationalibiter ostendatur non esse falsum quod fides Catholica confitetur."