Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Divine Praises

This is something I learned last week at the monthly Eucharistic Adoration event for university students that I attend. The deacon presiding (Deacon Andrew who's getting ordained next week!) pointed out to us that the Divine Praises are said in reparation for blasphemies against God and Mary. Fr. Tim Finigan, over at The Hermeneutic of Continuity reminds those of us in St. Blogs. I figure, since last week I didn't realize this, there's probably other people out there who still don't.

"For those who can't manage the 40 hours, here is a thought. The Divine Praises were composed in the late 18th century to be recited in reparation for public blasphemy. Pope Pius VII added indulgences to them and they became a popular devotion, usually recited at Benediction. People have forgotten the reason for their institution and so I occasionally remind my people by saying something like "Let us now recite the Divine Praises in reparation for blasphemy, especially blasphemies in the mass media" or something similar."

Fr. Tim Finigan suggests saying the Divine Praises in reparation for the DVC blasphemies. I've been keeping myself at a safe distance from this whole DVC talk, but it seems like a good idea to me.