Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Ancestrial Amnesia

I completely missed out on St. Patrick's Day yesterday. . . what kind of Irish does that make me? A horrible one I'm sure. I stayed home reading Aquinas on Human Nature rather than going to the Irish pub. A tragedy perhaps, although, Aquinas was good company.

I'm exactly one quarter Irish so I do have some of the Irish blood running through me, not to mention that it is from this Irish line of descent that I get my solid Irish last name. I'm a conflicted Irish though. . . a faithful practicing Catholic with orange roots. Talk about identity crisis. My Irish ancestry is Protestant from Northern Ireland and so I don't know how to reconcile that to my strong Catholic faith, but nonetheless, I suppose I should have celebrated St. Patrick's Day in some way yesterday. I did go home on and put on a green sweater after realizing at morning Mass that it was St. Patty's Day. That's got to count for something.

Happy belated St. Patrick's Day!