Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Monday, August 07, 2006

What's a Madonna?

Over lunch today I was talking with my Nana about an 80th birthday party she went to last night for a widowed neighbour of my grandparents. He happens to be Roman Catholic and very involved in the parish here. My grandparents belong to the Reformed Church. (Just a little essential background to this little anecdote).

Anyways, she said that they had played an ice-breaker at the dinner where they were given a piece of paper with a list of various descriptions on it and you had to find one person who fit each description. My Nana said that she had a really hard time with the game because she didn't understand all the descriptions. "For instance," she told me "I had no idea what a Madonna was. Do you know what a Madonna is? I was supposed to find someone wearing a Madonna." I just smiled and explained to her that it was an image of Mary and that she would have probably found many of the elderly Catholic ladies there wearing a little medal with a Madonna on it. "Oh," she said.

I guess with her failing vision she hasn't noticed the miraculous medal I wear. ;-)