Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Purity in the World

"What do you want us to do? Go up into the mountains and become monks? What you are saying makes me want to cry. You think that modesty and chastity are just for monks? No. Christ laid down common laws for all of us. And so, when He said: 'everyone who looks at a woman lustfully' (Matt 5:28), He was not speaking to a monk, but to the man in the street... I do not forbid you to marry, nor do I forbid you to enjoy life. I only ask that you do this with temperance, not with impurity, not with countless sins. I do not lay it down as a law that you go into the mountains and out into the desserts. I want you to be good, modest and chaste even though you are in the middle of the world."
- St. John Chrysostom, Homilies on St. Matthew's Gospel