Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Creative Nutrition

Over the past week my Oma who has alzheimers has been increasingly having problems eating. This obviously is a concern because if she's not eating properly her condition wil deteriorate more quickly. She tends to chew her food but won't swallow it and spits it back on her plate. I know that's disgusting, but that's what we're facing now. My cousin was joking with me last night that we could write a book and market this as the zero calorie diet. . . "Eat all you want and zero calorie intake!" We could make millions. Joking aside, we're concerned Oma's not eating properly. My Aunt had a creative idea (this is the good kind of creativity) that she tried out a few days ago though. . .

My grandparents were over at my Aunt and Uncle's for dinner and Oma wasn't eating her meal. When my grandparents are over at their house for dinner though they often have a drink afterwards. A lightbulb went off in my Aunt's head and she proceeded to make my Oma a drink. She decided she'd make her a brown cow (Kaluha and Milk) but substitute the milk with Ensure (a high calorie nutritional supplement drink). My Oma drank the entire thing! I guess you do whatever it takes to get the nutrients in! Hehehe. . .