Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Friday, July 14, 2006

That darn question. . .

Over these past few week I've discovered my number one Pet Peeve of being back in my hometown for the summer. For some background, it's a small('ish) very rural town. I was born and raised here until I left for university. My parents were raised here. All four of my grandparents live here. In other words, everywhere I go I run into people I know or at least people who know me (through my parents or grandparents). The following conversation takes place on almost a daily basis:

Random Person: "Hi! How's it going? I haven't seen you for a long time. What have you been up to?"

Me: "It's going well. I've been away at school."

Random Person: "Oh, where are you studying?"

Me: "(insert university name)"

Random Person: "What are you taking there?"

Me: "I'm doing a double major in Christianity & Culture and Modern Languages." [To which I then get an puzzled look and I go on to explain. . .] "It's essentially Theology and Foreign Literature, concentrating on French and Spanish Literature." [To which I then sometimes have to add an even further explanation as to what Theology is.]

Random Person: "Oh, and what do you plan on doing with that?"

Me: "I have absolutely no idea."

Ah yes, I have absolutely no idea. Many options, but no real idea. Every day I run into people at the grocery store, at church, or going for the walk at the beach who ask me this dreaded question "What do you plan on doing with that?" and every day I have to admit that I'm clueless. That's ok though? Right? Right? God knows. Phew. See, God's just helping me work on this whole trust thing. It's really quite humbling actually to have to admit that you have no idea where you're heading.

Ah well. Recently I've been thinking a lot about discerning God's will and all that jazz and have surrendered myself to the fact that what's most important is that I follow God's will each day in the present moment and that if I'm doing this He'll eventually sort out my future for me. See, if I ask "What does God want of me today?" and then I do that, then that will put me where He wants me to be tomorrow. I don't know if I'm making any sense at all and maybe this is just random rambling on my part but I sincerely trust that if I am living in God's will in the present moment then I don't need to worry too much about the future. I think sometimes we get so preoccupied asking trying to discern what God is asking of us in the future that we forget He has a plan for us in the present moment.