Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

First Communion




I've just returned from the First Communion of my catechism class. It was truly an afternoon that I will treasure in my heart. It was interesting to see how each child was so intent on the Eucharist as they went up to receive their First Holy Communion. I pray that they will hold fast to Christ in the Eucharist throughout the course of their lives. Father's homily spoke of how this is just the beginning for them, the beginning of a wonderful friendship with Christ in the Eucharist. I hope they remember that five, ten, or fifty years from now. I must admit that I was a little aprehensive about being asked to teach the First Communion class this year since I hadn't ever taught catechism before, I'm young, and I'm inexperienced, but in retrospect, I thank God for this incredible blessing. Discovering the Eucharist alongside the children has helped me to grow stronger in my own devotion to Christ in the Blessed Sacrament and reminded me of the importance of having the faith of a child. It has truly been a privilege and a grace to prepare with these children for the sacraments of Reconciliation and First Holy Communion. May they always remain close to the Sacred Heart of Christ in and through these sacraments.