Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Now what. . .

So exams are over. I'm starting summer classes on Monday so I don't really have a break though. I'll be taking two advanced Spanish Literature classes as well as a religious studies course called "Christianity and Culture" in May and June. At the end of June I'm hoping to get my wisdom teeth out. Well, not that I want to, but it's the most convenient time to get it done and I need to get them out while I'm still covered by my parents extended benefits.

Then what you ask? Well, my grandparents are aging and needing more and more help at home. I offered to live with my paternal grandparents for July and August to take care of them. I was going to get a summer job, but when I thought about it, in the grand scheme of things, it's more important that my grandparents be able to live at home (they need help to be able to live at home) than to make a couple thousand dollars. I know this will be really demanding and I don't have any romantic visions of spending the summer taking care of my grandpa who's in a wheelchair. I know that I'll need to grow in a lot of patience and humility. That being said, I think it will be well worth the time. I'm looking forward to spending the time with my grandparents. All of my grandparents have been so important in my life. They're really like second and third sets of parents. I know that it will probably be a challenging summer but also one that I will treasure in my heart some day.

Although it will be demanding, one of the advantages of living with my grandparents for July and August is that I will likely have a lot of time to read. I've been studying straight through the summers for the past two years and so I haven't had much time to read anything but assigned books for school. So now I'm going to play catch up. I have inherited my dad's habit of buying books that I don't really have time to read but really want to read. This summer hopefully I'll be able to get through some of them. I'll post a list of some of the books that are sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.