Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Some of these questions are HUGE

I've moved on to studying for my Ecumenical Dialogue final exam. This course was actually one of my favourite courses this past semester (along with Philosophy of the Human Person). Now, my professor is the kind who gives you the exam questions before hand, asks you to prepare the essays, and then to come in and write the exam. I don't mind this format for final exams except that it means the professor also expects really good essays when it comes to what you put down on paper.

I've been working on preparing my essay questions and thinking to myself "these are HUGE questions." Let's see. . .

What are the similarities and differences between traditional Catholic and Orthodox views on "original sin" (or "the ancestral curse"), and the process of salvation?

What are the similarities and differences between Catholic, Orthodox, and Evangelical views on Purgatory?

Describe the differing viewpoints of Catholic and Orthodox mainstream Traditions on the "filioque" clause of the Ecumenical Creed.
And those are only three out of the six questions. Don't get me wrong, these are good questions, and very important to consider, but they're rather huge.