Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Professors Praying for Exams

At the university I attend most of the professors pray out loud at the start of the class with and for the students. While prayer is always appreciated, this can be somewhat disconcerting during final exams. At this time, the prayers tend to go along the lines of:

"Lord, I pray that the students' exams would reflect what they have studied."

"Lord, I pray that the exams these students are writing would provide a true reflection of the effort they have put into the course."

"Lord, I ask you to help these students remember all that they have read and studied for this course."

Now, if you've really studied hard and you've done all your readings, this shouldn't be a bad thing. But if you're questioning the effort you put into your studies, such prayers can be quite frightening. Especially if you are concerned that God may actually answer your professor's prayer.