Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Suffering

I know it's hard to explain, because it's such a unique set-up, but I attend a Catholic College that is associated with a Protestant University. I take all my theology and philosophy from sound orthodox Catholic professors who have a mandatum. I take my other courses at the Protestant university. Anyways, this is all kind of irrelevant background information, but it provides insight into what I have to say tonight.

So, on the larger campus of the Protestant university they have daily chapel time. I very rarely go because we usually have Mass during the same time (there are no classes scheduled during this block of time) over at the Catholic college. This past week though, apparently there was a talk given by a professor during chapel that really impacted a lot of people. After hearing the buzz about it all over campus I decided (thanks to the wonders of technology) to go online and listen to what he'd had to say.

That's a long intro, but anyways, I listened to the recorded talk and it wasn't difficult to see how it had seemingly impacted so many people on campus this past week. The professor who spoke talked about how he had been really struggling throughout the course of this past year with coming to terms with the recent suicide of two of his students and the suffering he sees in his own life and the lives his students share with him. He spoke about how so many of us are wearing masks and ignore and pretend we're ok when we're broken and wounded. He spoke of how so many of us a struggling and trying to get our lives together but don't know how.

The professor went on to say that he has discovered that the only way we can face our suffering is if we find meaning in it. Our suffering is only meaningful if we view it in light of Christ's suffering on the cross, if we see it in connection with the suffering of He who has suffered all things.

He also talked about how in the midst of our suffering we often feel that God has abandoned us. That we are alone. That He is no longer with us. We feel abandoned by God. The professor exhorted the student body to turn, at times such as these, to God's scriptural promises that He is with us always.

In listening to it, I can understand how this talk had such an impact on campus. The well-known and liked professor who spoke was very open about his own suffering and his struggles and doubts. He was very real with the students.

I agree with him that we must find meaning in our suffering and that though at times we may feel abandoned by God, we need to remember the promises He has made to us.

This being said, as I pondered this brief talk, I began to consider it in light of my own Faith, that of a young Catholic. In reflecting upon suffering I came to yet another one of those moments where I was so grateful for the Catholic Faith.

Yes, our suffering is meaningful. But not only is it meaningful, it is valuable, and in fact, redemptive. When we join our suffering to the suffering of our Lord Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary our pain becomes a participation in the redemption of the world. It's more than meaningful, united to Christ our sorrow and pain is redemptive. This fuller picture brings us to a deeper participation in the life of Christ and helps us to see that when we entrust ourselves to Christ, both in our sorrows and joys, never shall we suffer in vain. Indeed, how much richer of a vision this is.

Secondly, with regards to feeling abandoned by God, Catholics and Protestants alike, we have all gone through times in our lives when we have had this experience. I agree with the professor's exhortation that we should cling to the promises of God revealed to us in Scripture. But then as I reflected upon this, in light of my Catholic Faith, I knew that in these scriptural passages which speak of God's promises to not abandon us lies a deeper meaning that many of my Protestant friends do not see. Yes, Christ promises us "I am with you always until the end of the age" (Mt 28:20), but as Catholics we know that He has truly, in the fullness of His humanity and divinity remained with us in the Eucharist.

Sure, I have gone through times when I have felt abandoned by God. Our relationship with God is not static. Sometimes we feel closer and sometimes we feel further away. Yet I know, that no matter how I 'feel' I can always find God. He never abandons me. Though I may 'feel' abandoned, I know where He is and I can physically enter into His presence. Not only can I cling to the promises He has left me in Scripture of His abiding presence in my life, when I feel abandoned by God and all alone I know exactly where to go to find Him. I need only walk into the nearest Catholic Church and kneel before His presence in the Blessed Sacrament. Sure, I may feel separated from God and I may question His presence in my life, but I know He is there. No matter where the path of my life takes me, no matter what suffering or sorrow I face, I know that I will always be able to find God in the tabernacles of the world.

I'm no theologian and I haven't really organized these thoughts but tonight I'm simply sharing with you something I've been reflecting upon for the past few days. I don't know if it makes sense and it's probably a lot clearer in my mind than typed out, but all the same, I thought I'd pass these reflections on to you.