Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Contraceptives in their water?

Today, at school, I overheard a conversation taking place between some of my peers who were sitting behind me. For circumstantial reasons, I wasn't in a position to comment on the conversation, but I couldn't help but overhear what was being said.

One of the girls in the conversation had recently returned from a holiday to a country with third-world living conditions in some areas and commented that, after seeing the poverty among large families, she wished "we could just put birth control in their water." I was just so shocked I wasn't sure if I'd heard her right. But I had.

As horrific as that statement is, the irony of it all is that she went on to comment how she had observed that despite living in abject poverty, the children she met there seemed to be genuinely happy. She pointed out that while there are children living in North America, given all material desires by their parents, they are living in depression and emotional neglect, and yet the children she encountered in this country, living in abject poverty, were genuinely happy as were their parents for the post part. She commented "it's kind of twisted when you think about it. There's these kids from one or two kid families here in Canada who have everything they want, except the love and attention of their parents, and are depressed, and then there are kids from huge families in third-world countries that don't even get enough food to eat who are genuinely happy. I just don't get it."

Personally, in relation to what she said, I was wondering the same thing. . .yeah, "it is twisted...and I just don't get it."

Did she not realize what she was saying? Do they not see that they are self-contradicting? Do they not see the truth revealed by human experience? Do they not see that poisoning water with contraceptives will not solve the problems families living in abject poverty face?