Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Riding Public Transport

I had a meeting downtown tonight so I took the public transport (avoided rush hour traffic that way...). I observed two things which stood out for me.

1. There was a poster advertisement that I saw promoting the use of condoms for older couples. It had a picture of an elderly couple (they really were fairly old looking...) and then said "Talk to your grandparents about it. AIDS touches everyone. No one's safe." At the bottom of the poster, in bold red print was the catch phrase, "Codoms are good for everyone." I really couldn't believe my eyes. It was just so beyond anything I could have imagined. I don't believe in vandalism, but I was really tempted to pull out the permanent marker I had in my bag and add two simple letters before 'everyone'.

2. There were a bunch of kids from a private Catholic elementary school that got on the skytrain (think monorail or subway but in the sky half the time) and they were discussing their religion class. I overheard them debating on the nature of Christ's divinity (well, not that they were using either the word 'nature' or 'divinity'...) when the following conversation ensued:

Girl A: Jesus is God.
Girl B: No he isn't. Didn't you hear our teacher? He's not God. He's just God's son.

I will give the school and the religion teacher the benefit of the doubt and say that Girl B didn't quite understand the lesson for today. That being said, if kids in private Catholic schools don't know that Christ is divine, we have a lot of work to do in improving our religious education programs.