Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Essay Season

Essay season is upon us and I've been busy.

What have I been up to?

Metaphysics:
The Metaphysics of Holy Orders: An ontological defense of male exclusive priesthood.

Contemporary Christianity:
Catholic Universalism and the Doctrine of Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus
* Before I get a whole bunch of nasty e-mails, let me point out that in this essay I argue that orthodox Catholic universalism proposes that the means of salvation are extended to all but not that all necessarily will be saved. I also point out (as does JPII) that it must fundamentally be Christocentric. I chose to write on this topic in response to my professor for this course (who is a Baptist) who claims that the Catholic teaching of extra ecclesiam nulla salus and the declaration from Lumen Gentium that "they who without their own fault do not know the Gospel of Christ and His Church" can attain eternal salvation (no. 16) are incompatible.

JPII Theology:
The Primacy of the Marian Profile of the Church

Apologetics:
A defence of Catholic teaching on Contraception from Natural Law

These are just a few of my favourite essays from this past semester. As you can tell I've been having fun.