Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Super Memory Priest!

This morning I went to Mass at a parish that I don't normally attend in a different part of the Archdiocese because I had a meeting and wanted to make it to Mass before my meeting.

The priest at this particular parish happens to be a priest who was in my hometown many years ago. I remember he was at our parish when I was confirmed so it must have been about eight years ago. I really didn't think he'd remember me since he was only at our parish for a couple of years and I didn't go to the Catholic school attached to the parish. He would have only seen me at Sunday Mass.

Well, after Mass this morning he came up to me and greeted me by name (I was so surprised he remembered my name!) and asked how I was doing and what I was up to. He remembered all my siblings names, and who was married, and who wasn't, and asked how they were doing and asked about my parents and grandparents. I was so amazed! I really didn't expect him to even recognize who I was (there's a bit of a difference between twelve years old and twenty years old).

He was earnestly interested in what I'm up to and how my family is doing and when I got up to leave he gave me a blessing and invited me to come visit his current parish any time I was in the area.

My question is, how do priests do it?! How do they remember peoples names, let alone who's related to whom etc... especially when they change parishes every few years? I have a hard enough time remembering names as it is. I can't imagine how many people priests get to know!