Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

My Buddy is Leaving

For the past couple of years I've been volunteerings as an in-school mentor with the Big Brothers and Big Sisters program in my local area. The in-school mentoring program matches elementary school students (typically children with behavioural or social problems) with volunteers who come and spend about an hour of one on one time with them once a week.

For the past two years I've had a little buddy at a local elementary school. We've had lots of fun together baking, playing basketball, snakes and ladders, battle ship, making pizzza, and just hanging out. My buddy is such a precious kid. Just spending the time with him really brought me a lot of joy.

Today when I went to his school for a year end pizza party I found out that he'll be moving during the summer. He was really sad about the move and so I tried to be positive with him, although I'm also disapointed that we won't get to hang out together next year.

He gave me a thank-you card that said "I liked being your Buddy because you had a charm that made me smile." Well, he definitely brought a smile to my face too, so it's mutual.

If you're not already involved with the kids in your local community, either as a parent or a volunteer, I'd highly encourage you to look into the different opportunities that are available in your area. There are sadly many children out there who are lacking stability and healthy role models in their lives.