Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

My Namesake

Someone suggested to me today that I spend some time learning about the saints who share my name. The person who made this suggestion said that I might find something out about myself in reading about the saints who share my name. We had to work with some variations on spelling but I'm pleased to announce that my namesake is the patroness of:

insanity, lunatics, madness, mental disorders, mental handicaps, mental health caregivers, mental health professionals, mental illness, mentally ill people, psychiatrists, and therapists


That explains a lot.

There is also a virgin martyr from the early 4th c. There's another one who is a child virgin martyr from the late 3rd c. That's a little saner. That's also probably the only way I'll ever become a saint. Prospects for martyrdom in Canada these days aren't really high though.

Then there's the one who made a private vow of celibacy but her parents forced her to get married, she refused to consumate the marriage, and eventually was granted the annulment and allowed to live in a hermitage.