Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Short Latin prayer?

On Sunday afternoon I went to Vespers and Benediction at the Cathedral. After the Divine Praises the archdiocesan Prayer for Vocations and the Prayer for Reverence for Life were prayed but then they prayed a really short (one line) Latin prayer three times over in reparation for abortion. I can't remember the Latin but I think a rough translation (as far as I can remember) was something along the lines of "Lord have mercy on [forgive? I can't remember exactly.] your people, do not remain angry with us forever." I thought it was a very appropriate prayer for the intention of praying in reparation for the horrors of abortion and it brought tears to my eyes since I had only a few hours earlier been speaking with someone about the abortion rates in Canada (close to 1 in 4 pregnancies end in abortion). Anyways, this is maybe a shot in the dark, but does someone know the prayer I'm talking about? What's it called? How does it go in Latin? In English? Thanks.

Update - prayer has been found:

Parce domine, parce populo tuo, ne in aeternum irascaris nobis.

"Spare your people, Lord; be not angry with us forever."