Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Thomas Aquinas Study Circle

I've decided to join in on the fun and attend a Thomistic study circle / discussion group that's starting up at the college I attend.

At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to get involved because I'm pretty busy as it is, I already have a heavy course load this semester, and it would require extra reading, but then I figured, I could always use a little more philosophy in my life. Perhaps if I could even learn a thing or two by osmosis. So tonight I went along for the fun to check it out. And the verdict? It was well worth my time and I'm hooked.

The group is being led by a thomistic philosophy professor but it's not a lecture set up. It really is more of a discussion group, granted the discussion is being guided according to the socratic method. Tonight we discussed St. Thomas "An Exposition of the "On the Hebdomads" of Boethius." The reading that was given to prepare for the group discussion was really tough going, but once I got there and we started talking about it, it seemed to make a lot more sense and I even learnt a thing or two. The conclusion that seemed to be reached was that first of all, being and good are one, and secondly, everything is good in so far as it is, and therefore good and being can only be separated in thought. Now, don't challenge me too much on that in the comment box because the wheels are still turning in my mind and I'm still trying to digest the reading and discussion.

For now, as I try and wrap my head around the conclusions from tonight's discussion, I'm looking forward to next week when we'll be discussing question six, on goodness in general, from the Summa Theologica.