Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Robbie Burns Day



As I was all caught up in the excitement of Deus Caritas Est being published today I received an e-mail from my mom this morning reminding me of another reason why today is a special day.

In the words of my mom:

"Happy Robert Burns day! I know, he was more a philanderer than a saint, may he rest in peace. Even if porridge, haggis, oat cakes, tartans, heather and bagpipes don't feature in your day, hopefully you can take a moment to reflect on heritage, beauty and poetry."

And so, in honour of Robbie Burns and my Scottish roots, I will share with you my favourite poem by the man. This is a poem my father used to sing to me when I was growing up.

A Red, Red Rose
by Robert Burns

My love is like a red, red rose
That’s newly sprung in June :
My love is like the melody
That’s sweetly played in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in love am I :
And I will love thee still, my dear,
Till a’ the seas gang dry.

Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi’ the sun :
And I will love thee still, my dear,
While the sands o’ life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only love,
And fare thee weel a while !
And I will come again, my love,
Thou’ it were ten thousand mile.