Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Interior Castle Paper

I have to write a paper for my Christian History course on any theme relating to the Interior Castle. I pretty much have free reign. I asked if it had to be strictly a historical paper or whether it could be more on the theological side. The prof said for this assignment we could write from whatever approach was most relevant to our personal interaction with the text (it could be historical, theological, psychological...whatever strikes our fancy...).

Anyways, I think I'd like to discuss the idea of spiritual espousal of the soul with Christ, especially as this relates to St. Teresa of Avila and the sisters for whom she was writing the Interior Castle, in other words, I want to address in particular the idea of the spiritual marriage of consecrated religious women to Christ.

Does anyone have any additional insight, books, or articles they'd like to share? Obviously, I'll be mostly drawing off the primary text of the Interior Castle but if anyone's read anything directly relating to this topic, feel free to point it out to me! :-)