Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

When You Don't Understand. . .

I had the interesting experience this week of going to Mass for the first time at a Mass where I didn't understand a word that was said. Nothing. At least verbally. Knowing the Mass, obviously I was able to follow along anyways.

This week has been a bit of a crazy week for me and I really wanted to go to Mass the other day but I was only going to be able to get to an evening Mass. So I searched the archdiocese website for any parishes nearby that might have an evening Mass. I found one twenty minutes away and so I decided to go. The website failed to tell me though that Mass was going to be celebrated in another language. Not that I really care. It was a neat experience. . . and it was the same Jesus.

Now, I've been to Mass before in Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Latin. Some of these languages I speak better than others, but I was able at least to pick up on words and identify what the Gospel was and even piece together some of the homily in each of these languages.

This Mass I went to this week though was completely different. Wow. I had no clue what was being said (besides 'cheating' a bit with my missal...). To be honest, I still don't know what language it was. Perhaps Korean. Perhaps Mandarin or Cantonese. Perhaps Vietnamese. I don't know. Something Asian.

I was definitely "out of place" at the Mass. The priest apparently picked up on that though because when I went up to receive communion he didn't say whatever he was saying to everyone else but raised the Blessed Sacrament and said "The Body of Christ." Ok. So I guess my pastey white skin gave me away.

But like I said, it was the same Jesus, so I really didn't mind. It was interesting though.