Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Passing on Textbooks

This morning I went back to my old highschool to pass on one of my textbooks to my highschool Physics / Math teacher. I attended a public highschool, but my former teacher happens to be a practicing Catholic. And what textbook from this past semester could I possibly be wanting to pass on to a highschool Physics and Math teacher?! (I certainly wasn't taking any Physics or Math courses!!!) . . . The Science Before Science by Dr. Anthony Rizzi. We read this book in Metaphysics this past semester (in addition to reading Aquinas' Commentary on Aristotle's Metaphysics). Anthony Rizzi is a physicist from the USA who argues for the necessity of Metaphysics and using examples from physics demonstrates how science goes astray when it ignores Metaphysics. Quite frankly, the physics examples used in the book were a little over my head, but I thought my highschool Physics teacher might enjoy the book. . . he seemed pleased with the gift and said it looked like great reading for the Christmas Holidays.

As a side note, it's definitely odd to walk through the halls of my old highschool. Many of the teachers are the same and the school is much the same, but the students all look so young and I feel so old. And to think . . . only four years ago I was still in highschool. Wow! It seems like forever ago though. A lot sure has happened in my life in these past four years. . . and I have no iddea