Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

WOW! What a journey. . .

Pray for Dwight Longenecker who will be ordained to the Roman Catholic priesthood tomorrow after a long journey. I came across his blog today and was amazed and encouraged by his story. . .

Thirteen years ago I stood at the altar as an Anglican priest in my beautiful medieval church not believing what I was doing.

I had come to believe in the real presence of Our Lord's Body and Blood in the Eucharist, but it was not present in my church, but in the chapel of the Benedictine Quarr Abbey. Put very simply, Jesus was there in a way that I did not believe he was present when I celebrated the Anglican Eucharist. People asked how I could sacrifice everything to become a Catholic. It wasn't hard. How could I have continued for another thirty years as an Anglican priest standing at an altar doing something I no longer believed in?