Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Labour Pains

My mom had a dream last night that I was pregnant. I assure you, this post has nothing to do with that.

I've been reading through the Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales this past week. Wow! What an amazing book. Amazing doesn't quite describe it. . . rather, what a profound book!

A few days ago I came across the following passage and it really stood out to me. Later in conversation, someone I was speaking with alluded to this same analogy. They didn't know that I was reading the Introduction to the Devout Life. It was kind of eery. One of those situations where you're thinking. . . hmmm. . . maybe God wants me to ponder this a little more.

And so, here it is. . . I thought I'd share with you so you too could ponder this wonderful analogy:

"Amid the difficulties you meet in the exercise of devotion, remember the words of our Lord: "A woman about to give birth has great sorrow, but when she has brought forth her child, she no longer remembers the anguish for joy that a man is born into the world." Within your soul you have Jesus Christ, the most precious child in the world, and until he is enterily brought forth and born you cannot help suffering from your labor. But be of good heart for these sorrows will pass and everlasting joy will remain with you for having brought forth such a man into the world. He will be wholly brought forth for you when you have wholly formed him in your heart and deeds by imitating his life." (St. Francis de Sales, Introduction to the Devout Life)